Shelby County News
|Week Ending August 4, 2006|
The annual W J Connell reunion will be held on Sunday, September 3, 2006, in the hospitality room of Texas State Bank in Haslam, Texas. Doors open at 10:30 am. Bring a covered dish and lots of memories and photos to share! For more info contact: Mary @ 936-269-4141 or email email@example.com. Make plans to come and bring the kids!
Did you know-----
The first light company in Center was called "Texas Central Power Company"
in 1921 and located in East Center near the Railroad Depot. Ice was
also made and sold at the plant. The light plant whistles were used to
tell of fires and of the 12 O'Clock hour. After the plant closed a
siren was used from the fire station water tower on the town square. Early
lights Center were Candles, Kerosene Lamps, Carbide Lamps. Outside
lights were the Pine Torch and Kerosene Lanterns. Later years some of
the homes had independent Delco lighting systems. Air conditioning was late
in coming to Center, in the late 1940's and early 1950's most business had
conditioning installed. The homes were converted or built to provide air.
The first telephone subscribers in Center were Mr. and Mrs. Bob Mills.
The HE&WT Railroad was built through the County in ca 1885. Mr. J. E. Blankenship of Timpson was one of the first to start a business to sell merchandise to the railroad hands in the Timpson area.
To view previous weeks of Shelby County News click here
Sign our Guestbook---
|Surname||Submitted By||Surname||Submitted By||Surname||Submitted By|
|TURPIN||Dan Turpin||HALL||Michael Hall||-||-|
This page is open for anyone to submit information or queries
|ALICE GRAHAM FULLER
Alice Graham Fuller, 72, of Center died July 28, 2006 at her residence. Burial was in Sardis Cemetery. Born August 29, 1933, in Lufkin, she was the daughter of Dudley and Mattie Graham. Mrs. Fuller was a Homemaker. Survivors include husband, Raymond Jack Fuller of Center; sons, Johnny Fuller, Sr. of Center, Jimmy Nash of Timpson; Daughters, Darlene Porter and Charlene Channel, both of Center. Mangum Funeral Home.
|JIMMY EDWARD KING
Jimmy Edward King, 72, of Tenaha died July 28, 2006 as a result of auto accident. Burial was in Ramah Cemetery. Born November 4, 1933, he was the son of Spivey and Ella Wood King. Mr. King was a barber in Tenaha and a veteran of the Korean war. Survivors include son, Winn King of Gladewater; daughter, Emily King Williams of Nacogdoches; sister, Mry Beth Melton of Tenaha. Mangum Funeral Home.
|JIM HENRY BARNETT
Jim Henry Barnett, 93, of Longview died July 28, 2006, in Longview. Burial was in Oaklawn Memorial Park, Shelby County. Born May 20, 1913, in Center, he was the son of Laborn Augusta and Ora Ida Greer Barnett. Mr. Barnett was preceded in death by his wife, Willie Lee Sanford Barnett. Survivors include son, Jerry Barnett of Longview; sister, Margie Beckham of Joaquin. Watson & Sons Funeral Home.
|INA MAE ANDRUSICK
Ina Mae Andrusick, 68, of Center died July 30, 2006, in Center. Burial was in Blair Cemetery, Timpson. Born February 17, 1939, she was a homemaker. Mrs. Andrusick was preceded in death by her husband, Henry Andrusick, Stepfather Langston Lunsford; sisters Virginia Merill and Mary Dean. Survivors include her children, Vickie Andrusick of Huxley, Hank Andrusick of Lewisville, Richard Andrusick of Houston, David Andrusick of Center James Andrusick of Lewisville and Steven Andrusick of Beaumont; Mother, Verna Lunsford of Huxley; brothers, Jerry Whitman of Liverpool, Bob Menill of Houston.